Are you wondering what an Executive Chef does and what his or her responsibilities are?
What to Expect as an Executive Chef
If your choice in careers is to be an executive chef, then there are things about the position that you will need to consider before you accept this position. Executive chef positions exist in hotels, restaurants, and on cruise ships. This position is good for someone who works with fine cuisine and possesses strong managerial skills. This person is in charge of everything to do with the kitchen and all of the food that is made there. The executive chef is the person who orders all of the food needed to cook the meals. They decide on the menu for all of the meals. The executive chef is in charge of all of the kitchen equipment and its continued maintenance. They are also held responsible for the cleanliness of the kitchen and the hygiene of the staff.
An executive chef position is not one that you will just fall into. This position requires culinary expertise and experience in a fast paced work environment. It also requires a firm knowledge of foods as well as management experience. The executive chef will work directly with the establishment’s managerial team to ensure efficient service. They will be responsible to ensure that all of the food that leaves the kitchen is of high quality and consistent throughout the entire hotel.
An executive chef should possess the following skills:
- Experience as an executive chef
- Experience in a managerial capacity
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong communication skills
- Superb organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent planning ability
- Creativity with food
- Able to meet deadlines
- Multitasking capabilities
- Strong computer skills
- fully aware of
tehabove executive chef responsibilities
The executive chef is also responsible to hire competent kitchen staff and ensure they are all trained properly. They need to make sure that all of the kitchen staff is familiar with all of the menu items and can make them correctly. The executive chef is responsible to schedule the appropriate staff to cover each meal and in between. They are also to manage the staff’s compliance with any company policies. The executive chef is in control of the kitchen budget and needs to ensure that the correct amount of food is purchased for the daily meals.
The person who is hired to fill the executive chef position at a hotel will need to deal directly with the guests to ensure that their needs are being met. They will enjoy building solid relationships with staff, vendors, and guests to ensure the efficient operation of the kitchen. Although there are a lot of responsibilities with this position, it is the perfect position for someone who thrives in a fast paced environment and pays strict attention to details. The executive chef position is one of the most important positions in the hotel.
How to do-the job of an Executive Chef his or Her responsibilities
Pyramid Hotel Group
Company Name: Pyramid Hotel Group
This employer is willing to help successful applicants obtain a work permit.
Pyramid Hotel Group is a progressive and dynamic organization that operates hotels and resorts in critically acclaimed high volume, upscale casual and fine dining restaurants throughout the United States. We have a team of talented, dedicated professionals who deliver a world class dining experience for our guests.
We are currently seeking an experienced Executive Chef to join our team at our Westin Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach Resort and Spa on the beautiful island of Grand Cayman.
The primary objective, but not limited to, of the Executive Chef is to create and maintain a food identity equal to the demands of highly distinguished guests. This position is a working and supervisory management position. This position empowers the Executive Chef to make on the spot management decisions as they relate to the appearance and quality of all food product, the security of our perishable and equipment assets, and the productivity and quality of work performed by all kitchen employees. You will be expected to both lead and participate in decisions and discussions that have operational and financial implications. It is paramount that the Chef is experienced with managing employees from multi-cultural backgrounds, ethnicity, nationality and heritage. The Staff of the Westin Grand Cayman is composed of 65 different nationalities from all over the globe.
Beach House coastal cuisine, Ferdinand’s Caribbean Cafe and Tortuga Beach, Grill and Bar requires appearance, showmanship, leadership, and personality that are consistently on display all the time. This person must also embrace the media and community and be personally comfortable and want to be in the spotlight. Participates in all Social Media, Marketing, Advertising and Marketing initiatives of the resort. Must be able to function within the Starwood/Westin brand standards and programs. Must be a “working” chef and participate working on the line with cooks and apprentices regularly.
- Responsible for the smooth operation of all kitchen functions
- Responsible for all Food Outlets to include but not limited to: Upscale, Casual, Room Service, Cafe, Banquets, Catering and Pool and Beach Grille restaurants
- Monitor food quality and presentation of all food product
- Manage meal service to meet the needs of the dining room
- Organize and lead daily pre-meal food tastings and discussions
- Responsible for procurement of products required to maintain continuity of the highest level of service
- Schedule, manage and develop all kitchen employees
- Understanding budgets, forecasts and manage all kitchen and labor expenses
- Manage and control Food Costs
- Immediate reporting and documentation of supply variances, theft and/or waste
- Assist in the deployment and the management of all company policy changes
- Knowledge, management and promotion of all products and services
- Train Cooks in all levels of the culinary program
- Create, write, develop, implement and execute new menus seasonally and able to write recipes and cost-out menus to ensure proper costing and pricing
- Follow and implement Westin Standards and QA (Quality Assurance) procedures in the culinary department
- 8 years’ experience as an Executive Chef in a quality restaurant, hotel or resort
- Starwood/Westin Experience preferred
- Culinary degree a plus
- Respond well to the changing environments of the kitchen, i.e. noise, temperature, etc.
- Strong organizational, decision making, time management, communication and leadership skills.
- Must be a team player and understand the objectives of not F&B Outlets, but the entire Food and Beverage operation including hotel banquets and catering, room service.
Pyramid Hotel Group is a privately held full-service hotel company based in Boston, MA. Pyramid provides Hotel management, Project management, Asset management and Acquisition Services. Pyramids principals have over 25 years of experience in successfully acquiring, repositioning and managing hotel real estate assets. Pyramid Hotel Group employs approximately 7,200 employees and has over $7.0 billion of hotel real estate currently under management. As hotel owners, Pyramid is aligned with the owners’ interests. Pyramid sources, advises and jointly invests in both stand alone and portfolio acquisitions with its partners. Clients and partners include large institutional investors, corporations, universities and individual owners. With five former hospitality CEOs or Presidents on the Pyramid team, clients and employees have access to an unparalleled depth and diversity of senior executive skill, judgment and strategic thinking.
Find out today what a career with Pyramid Hotel Group can mean for you!
Position: Executive Chef
Start Date: Negotiable
Job Category: Hotel
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: 7-10 years
Education: Culinary Arts Degree Preferred
Job Location(s): Caribbean
hope you liked the blog post and feel free to leave a comment for us to read or respond to.