Are you wondering what a Rooms Division Manager Does and what his responsibilities are?
Here is What to Expect as a Rooms Division Manager
When you entertain the thought of working your way into a rooms division manager position for any hotel, you need to be aware of what types of duties are expected of such a person. Not only is the rooms division manager responsible to see to the comfort and safety of every guest that visits the hotel, he is also responsible to hire competent staff and make sure they are trained to care for the guests in the way that is expected.
This position requires a high degree of initiative on the part of the person holding it, as well as dedication to the company and efficiency with leading the staff. In this position, your duties would include working closely with executive housekeeping and the front office throughout the day to ensure the hotel guests are well cared for, as well as resolving any customer complaints that may arise. The Rooms Division Manager also manages the 24/7 operations of the front desk, reservations, concierge, the phones and the night managers.
It is solely the Rooms Division Managers responsible to spot check rooms to verify the hotels standards are being met, authorize the schedules for the entire staff, manage the expenditures and budgets to make sure they are being maintained. This person will attend daily meetings with their supervisor, which is usually the general manager or a deputy manager, as well as assist with sales and marketing for the hotel. The day to day operations of the hotel rest squarely on the Rooms Division Managers shoulders.
Some tips on how to gain access to this position are:
- Start on the ground floor and work your way up to the position through experience.
- Check with local hotel chains to see if or when they have any internships or apprenticeship programs available for the position.
- Speak with some Rooms Division Managers to get their advice on how you should proceed to get into the position.
- Develop strong organizational and time management skills. Hone these skills as you work your way up.
- Attend functions for hotel and lodging associations to network yourself. Be sure to make contacts in the industry so that you can be informed when these positions becomes available.
- Keep your eyes on the job boards. When a position becomes available, be ready to apply for it.
The position of Rooms Division
Manager is one of utmost importance for a hotel. It includes a major portion of
the functioning of the hotel. You will need to possess strong management and
leadership capabilities to function well in this position. Excellent
organizational and time management skills are important to the person who holds
this position. Having superb interpersonal skills such as oral and written
communications are key. The ideal person for this job will have a degree in
hotel management or business, or several years of experience in the industry.
How to do the job of a Rooms Division Manager:
Jumeirah Zabeel Saray, United Arab Emirates
About the Company
At Jumeirah, we are committed to encouraging and developing our colleagues in world class environments. We value diversity and equal opportunity, employing over 10,000 colleagues from over 90 different countries including locations in Asia Pacific, CIS, Central Asia, Western and Eastern Europe, South America, Africa, USA and the Middle East.
Jumeirah Zabeel Saray is a truly luxurious beachside resort located on the west crescent of the iconic Palm Jumeirah in Dubai and offers exhilarating views of the Arabian Gulf and Dubai’s impressive skyline.
Rooms Division Manager – About the role
Working as a Rooms Division Manager, you will be responsible for the entire Front Office operation including Front Desk, Concierge, and Telephones. Ensures high level of guest satisfaction as well as for the financial results of the department with a focus on controlling the expenses and ensuring maximum room revenues are achieved.
- Reporting directly into the Executive Assistant Manager (Rooms), your responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
- To ensure timely, efficient & professional welcome and check-in is provided by all Front Desk Colleagues ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Maintain a high morale and productivity as well as good communication within the Front Office as well as between other departments.
- Develop colleagues, Team Leaders and Managers by delegating tasks and then empower and coach them making sure they achieve the desired results.
- Oversee the Maintenance and Configuration of the Opera system ensuring that input standards of profiles and reservations are correct, selling strategies are being followed and the system is “cleaned” from duplicate profiles and expired rates etc. on a regular basis.
- Monitor the level of service provided by the department (i.e. by analyzing the Guest Satisfaction Reports) and constantly working on improving it through investigation, analysis and corrective action.
- Prepare the departmental budget and put measures in place to achieve or exceed the budgeted profit.
- Work in partnership with Guest Services, Reservations, Sales & Housekeeping to ensure guest’s needs are determined and met in regard to room requirements.
Having completed a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent diploma in Hotel Administration or Business Administration, you must be able to demonstrate at least 2 years in a position of direct responsibility as Front Office Manager or within an international hotel chain. You must also demonstrate highly developed Rooms Management and Leadership skill set.
You will be a highly driven and motivated individual with a good knowledge and understanding of Rooms Division operations.
With a good command of the English language, verbal and written, you will also have a working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word and Excel.
About the benefits
accommodation/live out allowance, free transport to and from your place of work, uniform, laundry services, meals during working hours, annual flight ticket, medical and dental coverage, life and accident insurance and other allowances