Are you wondering what a Executive Housekeeper Does and what his or her responsibilities are?
The position of executive housekeeper is an important one within any hotel establishment. The housekeeping department ensures that the quality and cleanliness of every room is met or exceeded prior to a hotel guest entering a room. They are also responsible for all of the laundry operations within the hotel.
Some of the duties that this position entails include human resource management for the housekeeping department staff, hiring, training, providing performance evaluations, dismissals as needed, scheduling the needed staff to cover shifts, as well as knowing every detail of housekeeping and laundry for the hotel. The executive housekeeper is responsible to maintain the inventory of housekeeping supplies and amenities, as well as maintain them within the allotted budget. They perform quality inspections throughout the hotel and deal with complaints regarding anything housekeeping related.
The executive housekeeper should have experience in the housekeeping department as they will need to fill in as a housekeeper in the event the need arises. To become an executive housekeeper you need to have supervisory experience within the housekeeping department. This position requires knowledge of health and safety standards as well as knowledge of all the machinery used, and chemicals within the department. The executive housekeeper needs to have good communications skills as they will need to liaise with other department managers to ensure quality standards are being met throughout the hotel.
To perform well in this position one must be good with people whether they are guests, staff, or other management personnel. The need to take note of new processes and trends in the industry is important in this position, as well as continuing with ongoing training for yourself and staff. It is important to show the utmost respect to the guests, management and the persons on your staff. Be prepared to lead by example and assist others in their careers by helping them to improve in their positions.
Some important skills that can help you to work toward an executive housekeeper position include:
- Effective speaking and communications.
- Time management skills.
- Critical thinking to recognize problems and identify solutions.
- Managerial experience to oversee others.
- General decision making.
- The art of negotiations.
- Quality control.
The right person to fill this position will be dependable and reliable in their job duties. They will perform their duties thoroughly while paying attention to details. They will exercise self-control while dealing with difficult people or situations. They will work well in the capacity of leader and have no issue with taking charge of any situation. They will be an honest and ethical individual who takes pride in their job performance and the reputation of the hotel.
How to do the job of a Executive Housekeeper
Hilton Worldwide – (From the website)
An Executive Housekeeper/Housekeeping Manager with Hilton Hotels and Resorts is responsible for overseeing all housekeeping operations to deliver an excellent Guest and Member experience while evaluating guest satisfaction and setting department targets and objectives.
What will it be like to work for this Hilton Worldwide Brand?
One of the most recognized names in the industry, Hilton Hotels & Resorts offers travelers a world of authentic experiences. The brand continues to be the innovative, forward-thinking global leader of hospitality. With products and services that meet the needs of tomorrow’s savvy global travelers, we shape experiences in which every Guest feels cared for, valued, and respected.
If you understand the importance of upholding a brand’s reputation and value the effort it takes to provide a globally recognized hospitality experience, you may be just the person we are looking for to work as a Team Member with Hilton Hotels & Resorts. Because it’s with Hilton Hotels & Resorts where we promise an exceptional Guest experience every time.
What will I be doing?
As an Executive Housekeeper/Housekeeping Manager, you are responsible for overseeing all housekeeping/Laundry operations to deliver an excellent Guest and Member experience. An Executive Housekeeper/Housekeeping Manager would also be required to evaluate guest satisfaction and set department targets and objectives. Specifically, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Oversee housekeeping operations
- Oversee Laundry Operations
- Evaluate Guest satisfaction levels and monitor trends with a focus on continuous improvement
- Operate within departmental budgets through effective stock and cost controls and well managed schedules
- Set departmental targets and objectives, work schedules, budgets, and policies and procedures
- Monitor the appearance, standards and performance of the Housekeeping/Laundry Team with an emphasis on training and teamwork
- Ensure team members have an up-to-date knowledge of all room categories and amenities
- Maintain good communication and work relationships in all hotel areas and with external customers and suppliers
- Ensure staffing levels cover business demands
- Ensure ongoing training
- Ensure communication meetings are conducted and post-meeting minutes generated
- Manage staff performance issues in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Recruit, manage, train and develop the Housekeeping/Laundry team
- Competent in property management systems
- Assist other departments wherever necessary
What are we looking for?
An Executive Housekeeper/Housekeeping Manager serving Hilton Worldwide Brand hotels and vacations are always working on behalf of our Guests and working with other Team Members. To successfully fill this role, you should maintain the attitude, behaviors, skills, and values that follow:
- Housekeeping/laundry experience in the hotel/leisure/retail sector in a managerial or supervisory capacity
- High level of commercial awareness and cost control capabilities
- Previous experience of managing a department and Profit & Loss account
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills
- Committed to delivering high levels of customer service
- Ability to work under pressure
- IT proficiency
- Excellent grooming standards
- Flexibility to respond to a range of different work situations
It would be advantageous in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- Familiar with Property Management Systems
Blog post by P. Butterworth checked by Divan Erasmus
Once again I would like to thank Ms. P. Buttersworth for her excellent work on this blog post